There aren't necessarily any foods or diets that will magically make you lose fat. At the end of the day, weight loss is all about how many calories you consume. Your body needs a certain amount of calories, and if you consume less than it needs, that will result in weight loss. Technically, you can be in a calorie deficit while eating only unhealthy foods, but we don't recommend doing that.
If you are restricting calorie intake with the goal of losing fat, you should focus on healthy foods that are nutrient dense and lower in calories. These are foods like whole fruits and vegetables, lean protein sources (lean meats, protein powder, tofu, seafood, eggs, beans), low fat or fat free dairy products, and whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat bread/pasta, whole grain cereal, popcorn, etc.). These foods are all going to give you nutrients to keep you full and supply your body what it needs, while avoiding extra calories.
There are other foods that are still healthy, but have greater caloric density. Foods high in healthy fats like peanut butter, nuts, seeds, avocados, and plant oils should be included as long as you're careful about the portion sizes. You can eat a very healthy diet and still consume too many calories, so portion control is very important.
Again, there aren't really any specific foods we would recommend you completely avoid. In general, however, unhealthy foods are high in added sugars, saturated fats, salt. Oftentimes, they are processed or packaged. You can still eat thse foods because you don't want to burn out on a super restrictive diet – just make sure to consume in moderation.
Articles in this section
- Is casein protein good for weight loss?
- Can protein powder help me lose weight if I don't exercise?
- When should I drink protein powder if I follow intermittent fasting?
- How do I lose weight without exercising?
- What diet should I follow for weight loss?
- How can I turn fat into muscle?
- How can I stop drinking soda?
- Can I drink protein shakes for most of my diet?
- What foods should I eat for weight loss?
- How do I lose weight in a certain area of my body?